Causes of bleeding after intercourse:
- Cervical cancer, ectropion/eversion, polyps
- Damage to uterine lining
- Genital sores (herpes, syphilis)
- Lack of lubrication during intercourse
- Sexual abuse
- Substantial friction during intercourse or trauma
- Vaginal atrophy, and dryness
Despite the causes associated with post-coital bleeding, it is not unusual for premenopausal women to experience bleeding directly after sex.
Repeated episodes of post-coital bleeding may need an examination, Pap smear, swabs to rule out infection, ultrasound scan, colposcopy and/or hysteroscopy.