Vaginoplasty is a procedure which involves the tightening of the loose muscles and tissues which are in the front or back of the vaginal walls, it is specifically done at the entry point to the vagina. Sometimes it is required to remove surfeit vaginal skin in order to decrease the diameter of the vagina. This procedure results in a smaller and tighter vaginal canal. The tightening of the vaginal walls can result in more satisfaction during intercourse due to higher friction.
There are three different types of vagino-plastic surgery:
- Cosmetic Vaginoplasty: Commonly known as vaginal rejuvenation. This procedure partially excises and tightens the muco-cutaneous tissue of the labia and lower vagina. This is done most commonly to combat vaginal loosening due to childbirth or ageing, but can be performed to increased sexual satisfaction or emotional confidence.
- Reconstructive Vaginoplasty: Is performed when the vagina is damaged or lost due to:
- Acquired causes: trauma, childbirth, cancer or radiation.
- Congenital diseases: Vaginal hypoplasia.
This procedure reconstructs that vaginal canal to preserve fertility and sexual function.
- Constructive Vaginoplasty (Neo-vaginoplasty): Is the construction of a vagina where one did not previously exist. This procedure is performed on gender reassignment patients, or females that were born without a vaginal canal.